Re: public service announcement (QUAKE)

Dennis Clark (dennis@nospam.ilanet.slnsw.gov.au)
Tue, 27 Feb 1996 10:38:39 +1100 (EST)

In previous mail, Richard John Vagg wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Feb 1996, Iain Sinclair wrote:
>
> > The QUAKE pre-alpha demonstrator is out; thus, DOOM is now officially
> >
> > A pentium (or 486 in the worst case) is required.
>
> Well darn, my 286 just won't hack it then.

He also forgot to mention also that 8Mb of (free) RAM is an absolute
minimum, with 16Mb required for decent performance. And that the test
version is designed for deathmatch only, so unless you have access to a
network of 16Mb Pentiums (and friends to play with *grin*), you prolly
shouldn't bother.

I wonder if the release version will be less demanding... somehow I
doubt it.

> > Official mirrors are:
> >

> Would someone else like to do UTSnet a public service and put a copy of
> the pre-alpha on ftoomsh? ie in /black-hole or something.
>
> Well it will do our link to the rest of the world a favour, maybe not the
> internal UTSnet.

One of the mirrors that Iain listed is

ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/idgames/idstuff

which is itself mirrored on

ftp://ftp.dstc.edu.au/pub/pc/games/idgames/idstuff

Which (for those who haven't used the site) has quite adequate response
times from most parts of Oz. Admittedly the test version is over 4Mb in
size, so if a lot of ppl want a copy it may be an idea.

Dennis Clark | Email: dennis@nospam.ilanet.slnsw.gov.au
Programmer, ILANET | Tel: +61 2 230 1649
State Library of NSW | Fax: +61 2 232 8701
"What a tangled WWW we weave!"