[ProgSoc] TCP port reuse

Gday,

I have a program that listens on a socket. When the program crashes, if I restart it on solaris it can't bind to the same port for about 4 minutes. However on Windows it can bind to the same port straight away.

Why is the behaviour different on Windows and Solaris?

I understand this can be controlled on Solaris using the tcp_time_wait_interval. However the manual says not to reduce it below 60s. What is the best way to avoid this delay when restarting my application? I don't want to change port numbers.

Cheers,
Jay.