[ProgSoc] More SCSI Fun

Hey all,
Wow, looks like SCSI drives really aren't having a good week, first Andi and
now me, though admittedly I doubt my problem is necessarily SCSI-related.
I'm currently in the process of rebuilding trogdor, and I'm running into
infuriating behavour when it comes to the backup partition.  Basically, my
LVM partitions have vanished.

Previously, trogdor had one drive containing the system partitions, and a RAID
5 using all but one of the remaining drives (I was having problems with the
drive label on the other drive), each partitioned with an LVM partition
taking up the entire drive.  As anyone who may have had any reason to access
their backup directory previously will know, this worked fine, everything
mounted and was stored correctly.  However, when I recently turned trogdor
back on to start setting it back up, I first booted into the existing
environment and found that only two of the RAID drives were appearing
in /proc/mdstat, all of the other RAID drives showed as having no partitions
at all.  Now I've rebooted again into the debian install CD, and only one of
the RAID drives is showing its partition, the installer claims every single
other one is totally empty.

Now, before anyone suggests it is related to the security breach, it's not, I
actually had this happen once before when I was first setting up the backup
RAID, but "went away", or so I thought (I rebuilt the RAID from scratch,
rebooted and it was still there, so I assumed it was fixed).  While I guess
I'll just have to do that again, I'd rather not have the backups disappear
trogdor gets rebooted, especially given that's going to be the kind of time
we really want to be able to count on them.  What really puzzles me is all
the system partitions work fine and never disappear, just the RAID's LVM
partitions.  I've done a bit of googling, but with no luck.  Does anyone have
any clue what is going on?

Thanks all, hopefully trogdor will be back up soon,
--
David Edney
Computer Systems Officer