Re: [ProgSoc] More Downtime

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 08:40 pm, David Edney wrote:
> I didn't get the opportunity to do the mobo/cpu upgrade, nor actually
> resize the fs (something I could do remotely, but it'd be too risky), so
> I'll do both of those things when I'm in.

Woohoo, the upgrade was a success.  Admittedly I didn't get to resize the fs
(something which won't take long, but I couldn't risk doing since I didn't
have the time to fix things if it failed), but orgo has now been fully
upgraded to a twin-processor 466Mhz Celeron, a clear improvement from the old
PPro200, which should be of benefit with regards to filesystem access (given
I found backups maxed out at 2Mb/s with ~100% CPU on the old system).  In
order to do this some creative case modding was needed (ie smashing and
breaking things), but it all worked out fine.

About the only two things which didn't go perfectly is that I still need to
upgrade orgo's kernel to an SMP one in order to actually support the second
processor, and that sutekh had to be temporarily cannibalised for parts in
order to get SDRAM for the new orgo, since the old one used EDO (sutekh's
mobo looks like it should work with EDO, but it doesn't seem to boot with it
in, maybe I need to mess with jumpers somewhere, I'll check later), but given
sutekh isn't really in use any more, I would hope it's not causing any
problems to have it down a brief while.

Anyway, all this means that the upgrades are nearly over, there will have to
be some brief downtime again in the near future to resize the home directory
partition to 80gb from 40gb, and to reboot into an SMP kernel, but that
shouldn't take long at all, I'll let people know when it's going to happen.

Cyall,
--
David Edney
Computer Systems Officer