[ProgSoc] Recent Downtime

Hi all,
Just for those screaming "WHERE THE HELL WAS PROGSOC?!!!!!!!!!!111ONEONEONE"
the reason for the recent downtime was problems with Orgo's new motherboard.
It turns out that the old Abit-BP6 motherboards have known issues with their
APIC controllers being a bit flaky, especially in situations dealing with
substantial network load (something orgo of course does quite a bit of) and
when in SMP mode.  While it looks like I should be able to fix this up either
through a BIOS reflashing or maybe even a kernel upgrade, for the moment I
have simply disabled orgo's second processor.  This still leaves it at about
double its pre-upgrade speed, but assures stability.  At the same time I've
made some tweaks to the hard drive settings now that it's on the newer,
better motherboard, and disk access speeds are now five times what they were
before (approx 10MB/s instead of 2MB/s).

So to sum up, things shouldn't crash any more, and they'll run way faster too.

Cyall,
--
David Edney
Computer Systems Officer