Re: [ProgSoc] Calling all savants

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, jedd wrote:

>  ] >  8 15 - is a sequence that pops up lots of other places in the show.
>  ]
>  ] Well, it ain't a phone number.  815 is the obvious area code.
>
>  Birthdays, flight numbers, photocopier one character is
>  selling in an episode, all kinds of little things.  I can give
>  that one up to quirky behaviour on behalf of writer / producer.

No no, are you saying, it's all these things =in= the episode?  I was
talking about in real life ... you're trying to find out what these
numbers actually refer to, aren't you?

>  ] If you're happy with High Enough Definition ...
>
>  {blink}
>
>  These are HDTV caps.

Duh.  Well surprise me and tell me that they're encoded at 1280x720p24.

No?  I thought not.

>  350mb for 42'.  It's better-lookin' TV than I get via welfare TV in .au
>  normally.

Well I would like to point out the $150 for a DVB-T card versus your
monthly, ongoing, broadband bill.  No, it's not a fair comparison since
broadband offers tons more, but you made the comparison  :)

It's also a shame that Seven Digital removes 80% of the detail when they
show an HDTV movie, or 55% in the case of this show.

>  I'm also pretty happy with Completely No Adverts.

Well I quite admire this country being in the position unlike the USA or
UK where you almost have to pay for television.  Here it's almost
completely optional, and most people pay only a few cents a day depending
on their income  :)

Of course ... the question will one day arise -- if this exodus from TV
really is true, who is going to pay for and pick up the shows?

>  (And no, he hasn't - but at ep18 I think we're only
>  meant to be about 3 or 4 weeks in, and there's been plenty of
>  boar-chops & bacon going around.)

You what??  Don't tell me they've been EATING this whole time?  I thought
they were meant to die of HUNGER!  This is just as WEAK as all those
so-called "Survivor" shows, where nobody ever really dies.

>  You probably stopped watching Twin Peaks when that guy
>  started talking backwards, didn't you?

Oh my.  I had a much lower tolerance for American-flavoured drama in the
early '90s.  I never watched it;  though I did enjoy that theme tune, and
I remember all my friends making jokes about being "wraaaaped in plastic".

Hot damn, we seem to get one of those per week now, with all those shows
like Law & Order: Kinky-Sex Deviant Unit etc.

CK.