Re: [ProgSoc] Core dump - help?

>> Gday, I have a core dump from a C++ program that crashed on fedora
>> core 3 on a dual Intel Xeon server. I don't understand what the core
>> dump is telling me (or not telling me). The program has 4 threads. Can
>> anyone explain what I'm seeing?
>
> Your program has invoked abort(). This would usually happen if some
> sort  of internal consistency check failed. Unfortunately, you haven't
> got full  symbols loaded in, possibly due to the input/output error:

To (partially) answer my own question: the crash was caused by an
assert(), which subsequently calls abort(). The binary was built on fedora
core 3 on an Intel 32bit x86, but was running on an AMD x86_64 which is 64
bit.
I did some testing on this situation:

Build     | Run       | Crash    | Useful backtrace
x86       | x86_64    | assert() | no
x86       | x86_64    | segv     | yes
x86_64    | x86_64    | assert() | yes
x86_64    | x86_64    | segv     | yes
x86       | x86       | assert() | yes

I don't know the details of why the backtrace can't be seen in the core,
but it appears to be caused by running a 32bit binary on an x86_64 machine
and crashing due to abort().
Cheers,
Jay.