Re: [ProgSoc] Better than an iPod shuffle?

On 7/12/05, Christian Kent <whophd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Not important again. The radio I had on the ol' walkman was useless
> >
> > A fair number of the newer STA buses have an LCD TV news feed of sorts
> > that you can watch whilst sitting in the bus. They use a local
>
> Faff.  Are there any portable players / radios / etc that receive digital
> radio yet?  I want my NewsRadio.

3 customers (as in 3 the 3G company) can get access to launched 3G
radio streams like Virgin Radio UK. To listen to Newsradio I suppose
you could rig a setup where you grab the audio stream and reencode it
to reduce the size to less than the ~30kbps real audio/wma streams
they use at the ABC to say around 12kbps if you could clean up the
distortion - and then restream it in whatever format your phone
supports over GPRS or 3G. I have a feeling that there would be a few
issues with the quality and dropouts though (not to mention data
costs) given the not so great coverage of 3. (subjective for me
because I live rather ... north-ish.)

<http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/03/06/207204&tid=141&tid=193&tid=215>

-Andi