[ProgSoc] Persistent Sockets - PHP

Geeks!

Just thought I'd ask this again because it was sent in the middle of 20 odd spam emails over the weekend - and I'm pretty sure SOMEONE here would know the answer.

I have some PHP scripts that I'd like to get talking to a server process (which may or may not be on the same machine) via TCP/IP. And rather than connecting/disconnecting each time the script is executed, I was hoping to save the socket file descriptor into the session, and resume activity on the socket when the script is executed next.

Unfortunately, all the websites tell me that sockets opened using pfsockopen() cannot be resumed.

Surely this problem has been solved before .. what's the usual solution?

I am off progsoc@, so please CC any replies to me.

gleNN