Re: [ProgSoc] Looking for a new amplifier

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:03 pm, Andrew Halliday wrote:
 ] Traditionally you get a decent Amp. and cheaper speakers, not the
 ] other way around.

 Like Michael, I thought that the idea was to spend roughly
 half your budget on speakers.  Of course, this was the received
 wisdom in the days of two-speaker systems.  No idea how that
 scales in the 13.1 era.

 I seem to recall spending a hideous amount of money on my
 mostly under-used Denon AVR (purchased a fortnight before
 some goon worked out that an extra speaker in the center rear
 was *essential* for good sound) and accompanying Krix speakers.

 But it *does* produce a very nice sound.

 My opinion of NAD has sunk hugely over the past decade.  Strangely
 Marantz is now on the up, though I think I'd still feel silly buying
 one.  A friend was looking at one of the $3k onkyo's recently, but
 I think he went H&K instead - something about the 27 inputs and
 the ability to have disparate output streams.  He also only drinks
 genuine Italian coffee, so make of that what you will.

 Jedd.