Re: [ProgSoc] MSI 6600GT Experiences?

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 08:43 pm, jedd wrote:
>  I bought the Leadtek A6600 TD (256mb) card today from Adelong
>  in Sydney for $249.  It's about as quiet as the rest of the box ..
>  which isn't ultra quiet, but doesn't make that squeaky-squeaky
>  noise that the ol' A280 TDH used to make.
Whoa, for a moment there I thought you'd found the greatest buy of all time, I
didn't realise you were talking about the non-GT model, but that's still none
too bad at all.

>  You should be able to go into a place that sells both the cards you're
>  considering, and get them to crank them up on a mobo on their
>  bench and do the old listen test.
Hmm... that'd be the ideal solution, but none of the ultra-cheap places where
I'd realistically end up buying are really the kind of places likely to let
you start opening and plugging in stock just to see if you like it (though
I'm happy to be corrected), and I'm not quite evil enough to ask a store I
have no expectation of buying from to do it for me.

>  Alternatively if noise is a huge issue, can't you just replace
>  the fan on most cards these days?
Yes you can, and that's something I've been reading up on a bit.  I'm
certainly open to it, having gone to the bother of getting a giant (but
fantastic) CPU HSF setup, but I'd rather not if I can avoid it.

>  www.staticice.com.au ... is also a place worth visiting when
>  hunting for cheap hardware (if you haven't already found it).
I've actually been looking at www.ausprices.com.au, which is much the same
thing.  Problem is it seems many of the cheaper places such as MSY or ARC
don't appear on these price aggregators for some strange reason.
--
David Edney
President