Re: [ProgSoc] Serenity Now!

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005, jedd wrote:

I'd be willing to pay about $150 a month for genuine unlimited
(not, as you say, the common usage definition of unlimited) but
would obviously like to get that down to something under $100.

heh, Unlimited as opposed to *Unlimited, eh?
These days, finding an ISP that offers genuine Unlimited plans is rare.
My folks and I were on one such ISP (Telpacific) until the ISP made a changeover from Unlimited to *Unlimited while promoting their new price plans, and it seriously nerfed our internet whenever we ended up among the "top 5% of downloaders" within one week (we get shaped from 1.5mbit down to 64k for 1 week before we get it restored the following week). We're currently paying $99/month now, but before the change it was $155/month.

It isn't hard to reach 35GB in 10 days when you have 4 people using the web for stuff. Complaints about the nerfing were responded to with a bear-it-and-grin-it attitude from them, so we decided that we had enough of that ISP and are considering churning over to one of Internode's unlimited 1.5mbit SOHO plans once our current contract ends this November.

Five years ago I was paying $60ish for 10mbps unlimited (Optus),
until they progressively shafted us over the years.  You'd think that
net access would become cheaper and faster over the last half decade.

Well, I'd think that.

Ah, the good ol' days...

Jedd.

-- Col'n