Re: [ProgSoc] Serenity Now!

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, David Edney wrote:

[activate flamethrower]

The DVD will include:
Brainiac 1x01 - This show is kinda like Mythbusters in a way, but instead of

Oh god. Please hand in your science degree at the door. Maybe this proves that US->UK knockoffs can be just as bad. At least Mythbusters is entertaining and TRIES to be scientific about it.

Commander in Chief 1x01 - Sort of a cheap knockoff of The West Wing, but done

Don't tell me. They have not-terribly-plasible dialogue in this too?

Killer Instinct 1x01 - A fairly poor cop show somewhat in the style of
Profiler.  I wasn't impressed, only got the one episode of it.  C

Next show you don't like? :)

Prison Break 1x01 & 1x02 - Such a great show, and one with an evolving plot
line, I had to include two episodes.  This is definitely one of THE shows of
the year, and I know countless people thinking it to be the best show in a
very long time.  Think of it like a big long 24 episode crossed with the
Great Escape.  A+

Like 24? What, with anonymous logins at the world's highest security compound?

Rome 1x01 - I'd have loved to have put 1x02 of this on the DVD too.  This is
an ongoing story with many threads set around the time of Caesar coming to
power in Rome.  It's got drama, politics, violence, and full frontal nudity,
and just a hell of a good storyline! A+

OK my mum will DEFINITELY like this.

Threshold 1x01 & 1x02 - Generally considered the best of the new crop of
sci-fi shows, I put two episodes on because the first is largely an
introduction in many respects.  I won't spoil the plot, but just a generally
good scifi show set today, revolving around the government's top (and only)
alien handling team. A

So is it like the early episodes of X-Files, where they overdid the flashflight-in-a-black-room, or like the later episodes, where the plots got TOTALLY incredulous?

Wanted 1x01 - A cop show, based around a fugitive apprehension team.  Pretty
run of the mill cop drama, but not too bad either.  Gets a B.

It's a run-of-the-mill drama, and it gets a B on the Dedney Scale. Uh oh.

Invasion 1x01 - Another scifi show, extremely "Invasion of the Pod
People"-esque.  I don't really like it that much, it's really quite slow, and
hardly counts as sci-fi.  C+

:) OK so I haven't seen most of these :) I'm willing to sit through a smorgasboard screening, though. Because that way I can ask a few geeks next to me what it all means.

Lost 2x01 - Okay, it's not a new show, but holy crap this season started out
GREAT, and anyone who remotely liked the first season should watch this! A+

Oh geez. I guess you liked all those shows as a kid, where they perpetually went in search of home? Ulysses 31, Monkey, Lost in Space. What DO those numbers mean, anyway?

Supernatural 1x02 (I don't have 1x01) - Not a bad show, pretty much X-Files
reinvented with people who aren't FBI agents, and using the "old" X-Files
format (ie each episode is on its own, no huge "aliens are out there" plots).
A-

Surface 1x01 - The "other" scifi show for this year, basically aliens are in
our oceans, they're going to kill us all (or something like that).  Didn't
like it that much, but better than invasion for sure.  B-

Hmmm if you mix these last two together with Threshold, do you get confused, or does it all just enhance the flavour?

[flamethrower off]

Meantime, from Fox 8's series of Search for a Supermodel, please find several copies of the full-size glossy calendar in the ProgSoc Room.

CK.