Re: [ProgSoc] Stupidly priced MP3 player

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 07:29:42PM +1000, David Edney wrote:

> Well, in the end I was only able to get one for myself, since the other one
> in-store was broken, and that late in the day I simply couldn't get any other
> stores who could help me (though I believe that some other Progsoccers
> managed to get some directly). <snip>

Well, sort of.

I attempted to place an order over the phone, and was told that they would just hold it there until I could come in and collect it. I checked that it was the "defective" model, and that I could still pick it up for $100 even if it's past the date that they can sell it to me for that price.

I arrived on Saturday afternoon, only to be flatly told that, even though I had double-checked on the phone and confirmed that they were holding the right one, the chap who took my call had been in error, and that they hadn't kept the defective model for me at all (apparently you "can't tell without opening the box"), and that they were going to sell it to me for $199.

After a lot of blustering and angry demands, I managed to get it down to $150, at which point the guy wouldn't budge. I caved at that point, figuring that a small 20GB USB harddrive was going to cost me that much anyway (without the music-playing abilities). Meh. :-/

Thanks heaps though, Dave, for letting us know about the deal. :D

--
Rob Howard
Computer Systems Officer