[ProgSoc] Donation of Cisco gear

Hi fellas,

I've been talking to CK for a while about hopefully getting some Cisco kit for you guys... and that suddenly took off today, with plenty of approvals from managers at work to the effect that selecting recycled equipment and donating it out can now take place - and very rapidly, before this old gear gets shipped out for scrap. For me, this means a trip to the surplus lab tomorrow morning... that's rapid!

So to get a decent idea of what you guys might need, I just called DEdney to see what's the deal in ProgSoc Land. This is what we ascertained:

- Replacement for medusa
Concerns about how much longer medusa will last, given the functions it does. Looking to get a 2600 Series router to take over the routing, and DHCP functions; and also a PIX-515 security appliance for firewall and NAT functions.

- Providing wireless access in the ProgSoc room
Minimum of WPA-secured wireless access for ProgSoc members. I'll be lucky to get Aironet 350 Series access points, may have to settle for a couple of 340 Series instead; and a couple of Catalyst 2900XL switches for wired access. Supporting the long-range wireless off viking, as well as the short-range wireless (indoor mesh?), security can be provided by a VPN headed device on a DMZ subnet to secure access to authenticated ProgSoc mambers... such as a VPN 3005 concentrator.

- Equipment for ProgSoc member practice sessions
k this is where I've got a bit of a vested interest, cos students in my VLANs and WANs class don't get enough time with Cisco equipment in the labs. They're locked out of the internetworking labs out of class time... so what's to do? The idea here is that if you guys had enough room in your room for four routers and three switches (ie. 7RU), you could potentially welcome new members and let them use that equipment when the ProgSoc room is supervised.

Thoughts on the above? Want more gear than that? =P

Take care, and SMILE!!! =)

Daniel Comarmond
CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCAI(CCNA)
Cisco Networking Academy Instructor