Re: [ProgSoc] Preferred server linux distros

<snip>
>> on their favourite distro? Something with lots of support would be
>> good - as I'm a bit of a linux n00b, but I know the basics and some
>> advanced stuff.
<snip>
I'd go Debian. From experience, Ubuntu is more suited to a desktop
environment rather than server (however from what I've heard, the Ubuntu
team are currently working on a server version of Ubuntu).

I suggested Ubuntu because it's pretty easy to get installed. I obviously prefer debian for server builds, but the reality is that debian can be an absolute bitch to install unless you've done it many times before AND if you don't care about having a window manager.

Yes he's going to be using it as a server, but being a home beginner server the chances are he'll be playing around and learning more about Linux and will want to use a window manager at some point (like for installing Java and BlueJ for OOP -do they still use that?).
If that is indeed the case then the ugly head of the graphics card driver demon raises its head and taunting you (well not always, but often).

Debian is a great distro and I use it myself, but for James I'd recommend Ubuntu because I think it'll take a lot of pain out of the installation process whilst encouraging and enabling him to self educate rather than bashing his head against a brick wall. That and it uses .deb package management.

Although if I was a real troll I'd suggest kubuntu cos it looks pretty or edubuntu for ease of deployment =) But I won't.

James, here's my suggestion:
Take an external HD to a lab computer at uni and download the ISOs for Ubuntu Install, Debian Install and FreeBSD if you're feeling creative. Then spend half a day trying to install each on your system (formatting in between). Non-Teaching week is either here or next week for you guys right? So you might have the time. Then see what you like or don't like and stick with what you like. That's the only way, and you'll learn a lot and have options in case you can't get one to install properly.

Cheers,
Andi.