Re: [ProgSoc] Fwd: [Re: [ADMIN] Cisco Gear, Network Write-up]

I'm dizzy from all the quoting.

I think that the idea of installing Cisco kit as part of ProgSoc infrastructure (unless it's another VLAN supportive switch) is no longer an option. The arguments against it are much more compelling than the reasons for it.

I've also been informed that due to a design error the PIX515 suffers from a DoS vuln from TCP SYN flooding (published 4 months ago) <http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/15525 >

The PIX515 runs PIX 6.3.3 as its OS and is highly unlikely to ever be further improved upon or patched due to the age of the kit.

Lab idea great. (tick) We can put it in a sandbox area for people to play with and see how it goes for a year.

Let's keep medusa(and any future incarnations of medusa) and everything else on good old reliable everyone-knows-it debian.

Let's keep the network seperated in two sections: (servers) and (membernet + laptops)

-Andi.