Re: [ProgSoc] To VPN or not to VPN

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006, jedd wrote:

At the moment I'm thinking a WinSCP equivalent for Mac, and just
browsing in via that way thru an SSH tunnel.  The solution doesn't
have to scale past a few concurrent users.

Here are some SFTP clients (many do SCP too):

http://macupdate.com/search.php?os=macosx&keywords=sftp&button.x=0&button.y=0

Normally I'd recommend reconsidering whether to have ssh compression enabled, but with CPUs these days ... plus, there's a chance your clients will want to transmit intermediate AV files. These are far less compressed than optimum for final viewing, thus making them uesful for editing, if resizing or recolouring are wanted.

Anyway it's just a consideration, that you may want to run these files through some run-of-the-mill lossless compression before you transmit them. There's going to be a fair deal of redundancy in certain formats, perhaps if they're in the 1GB-or-more range.

CK.