Re: [ProgSoc] cityrail esoterica

On Wednesday 17 May 2006 23:15, Christian Kent wrote:
> Bear in mind this turns on the meaning of "reasonable", which, I find to
> my humourous irony, is often defined as "the reasonable man on the train
> to Richmond";  which in turn is a localisation of the original "man on the
> Clapham omnibus" [1].

I'm pretty sure you'll find the Australian version is "the man on the Bondi
tram".  Given there is no more Bondi tram, I'm waiting on someone to claim
there is no more reasonable person test, but I don't like their odds...

And, while it may sound all great to have a maybe-possibly technicality
argument, the reality is if you get fined for this sort of thing, you'll have
to pay it.  Show up in some magistrate's court saying "it was reasonable for
me to jump the gate because I was lazy", and they'll tell you to STFU and
GBTW... but not before paying the fine.
--
David Edney
Secretary