[ProgSoc] Enable a network card in debain

Hi there,

I have taken over the administration of a Dell server running debian, with 2 gigabit network cards in it.
Not knowing a lot about linux, I have no idea how to bring the 2nd interface up (it doesn't show in ifconfig, so ifup doesn't work, but it does show up under proc/pci)

What do I have to do to get this working and set up a static IP? It's just going to be connected to another computer with a gigabit card so I can back up some files.

Thanks,

Michael.