RE: [ProgSoc] Enable a network card in debain

From: owner-progsoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-progsoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Michael Brown
Sent: Tuesday, 23 May 2006 6:15 PM
To: progsoc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ProgSoc] Enable a network card in debain

Hi there,

I have taken over the administration of a Dell server running debian, with 2 gigabit network cards in it.
Not knowing a lot about linux, I have no idea how to bring the 2nd interface up (it doesn't show in ifconfig, so ifup doesn't work, but it does show up under proc/pci)

What do I have to do to get this working and set up a static IP? It's just going to be connected to another computer with a gigabit card so I can back up some files.

What type of NICs? Are they the same?

First issue is drivers: either compiled into the kernel, or loaded module. If one NIC works and they are the same type, then the existing driver will support both. If you find you need another module, then use ‘insmod’. You can also execute ‘mobprobe driver.o/driver.ko’ to test a particular driver. Sometimes an alias is needed in /etc/modules.conf or /etc/modutils/* for eth1 pointing towards the driver and (rarely these days) giving parameters (I/O, IRQ, etc).

Try ‘ifconfig eth1 up’ and see if anything shows in the ifconfig list. If you get that far, then ‘ifconfig eth1 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx’ will get it up and running with an IP address of your choice. Otherwise, use dhclient/dhclient3 to get a DHCP address.

Permanent setting up of the interface requires changes to /etc/network/interfaces.

Cheers,

Nigel