[ProgSoc] Getting Gnome to open links

Recently on one of my Debian boxes I changed my /etc/apt/sources.list to point to the unstable packages, then I ran something like this,

 # apt-get update
 # apt-get dist-upgrade
 # apt-get upgrade

And fumbled through various dialogues. I'm not sure if I should have done this to 'switch' to unstable, but I did, and it's working OK, except for one thing (that I've noticed).

When I click on links in emails, or on launcher files in a panel that are configured as type 'Link' pointing to some URL, then nothing happens.

I vaguely recall being asked something about what window manager I wanted to configure URL support for (or something like that, I really don't remember the details, just that it had something to do with window manager and link-clicking integration, I think) and I selected 'gdm' out of a handful of options.

Anyway... does anyone know how I can configure the Gnome window manager so that it will open URLs..?

I've tried running firefox and telling it to configure itself as the default browser, but that hasn't worked.