Re: [ProgSoc] Re: Reply-To

On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 02:14:10PM +0000, John Elliot wrote:

> The solution CK is looking for (i.e. the one where technology makes
> things easy and logical for users) is the Reply-To header. That's what
> it's for. I.e. the problem has already been solved, but ProgSoc won't
> deploy the solution because it some members who (justly, nobly, rightly)

sigh.

It's up to the original poster to specify where they want their replies
to go. Specify it as the list, themselves, you or everyone.

> 'The ProgSoc Mailing List' is a discrete entity in objective reality,
> and when you communicate via it, you communicate *with* it. I.e. I'm not
> having a discussion with 'jedd' right now, I'm having a discussion with
> 'The ProgSoc Mailing List'.

Only in your strange notion of reality. You are in a pub. Jedd is in a
pub. Specify progsoc@xxxxxxxxxxx is like appealing to the wider pub
audience -- specifying a reply-to to the list is like saying you want
everyone to hear the answer; whereas specifying yourself means you want
jedd to whisper into your ear only.

Anand