Re: [ProgSoc] Printing to Dev/Null in Windows

Chocky wrote:

Hi All!

Does anyone know how to setup a printer that is not actually there and all print jobs get immediately destroyed? That is it doesn't actually print. But according to any program that tries to print to it, it has?

Currently, I have an app in Windows that insists on killing trees, I would like to set my default printer to a printer that just doesn't print. It just takes the job and says thank you to the app.

Thanks in advance,
Chocky

The various replies to this message all pretty much say the same thing I was going to say - use the NULL device. (A PDF printer will not work since it expects a filename most of the time).

Just tested it (with a Generic/Text Only printer - other drivers should work) and yes, it works - you need to attach a printer to the NUL: device in Windows (add a "local port" if you need to - I believe the ":" character is significant).

--Phil.