Re: [ProgSoc] backing up linux to a windows machine via the network

On Tuesday 07 November 2006 12:37, Michael Brown wrote:
 ] I've got a debian woody machine and a windows machine on the same subnet and
 ] I want to back up the /home directory and all subdirectories and files to a
 ] hard drive in the windows machine.

 Consider using unison (cross platform, GUI or CLI).

 Alternatively, consider backing up the home directory/directories
 to an image file (compressed tarball) on the Debian box and then
 dumping that file across periodically (samba maybe).  This depends
 on sizes, of course, and restoration requirements.

 Cron is your friend here.

 Btw, do you mean backup, or do you just want to keep a single
 image up to date?

 Jedd.