Re: [ProgSoc] lapsoc query

On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 11:18:58PM +1100, jedd wrote:
I want to know what others hate about their laptops (I decided a
while ago that this is far more insightful than knowing what people
like about their various devices when trying to evaluate them) and
what things to avoid.

Worked with various IBM and Dell laptops over the last few years but here's what I think of my current work laptop:

* IBM Thinkpad R52 (model 1858-A19 if you want to look it up)

- Until the successor to this model (ie. R60), no such thing as a Windows key - under Linux you might not notice it but in Windows, it saves a lot of time. (IBM have a tool to reprogram a key [usually right alt] as the Windows key though).

- Like Robert Howard's R51e, it's not the lightest (15 inch screen model) - if you find a 14 inch R or T series it'll be lighter but obviously screen's not so big any more.

- Again, only 2 USB ports (R60 and up now have 3 - but no Firewire in the R60)

- This model only has integrated Intel graphics - if I had the choice I would have asked for the ATI graphics version since it doesn't take up system memory (8MB in this case) - it has the SXGA+ (1400x1050) screen though.

IBM laptops in general tend to be more expensive [I think] to repair if outside of warranty (IBM charge $135 just to look at the machine...) and unless you pay extra, it's return to base rather than onsite warranty.

Generally, I'm happy with the machine (considering I didn't get to choose what sort of machine it was...) but it could use a few improvements.

--Phil.