Re: [ProgSoc] Changing default shell on MacOSX terminal

On 10/02/2007, at 3:56 PM, Phillip Tong wrote:

Thing is, it always offers me the bash shell - fine, but I prefer tcsh (which it has).

Where does it determine your default shell (it doesn't appear to be
/etc/passwd) and how does one change it for OSX? None of the users on
this machine are in /etc/passwd so I figure there's an OSX specific
database/file somewhere - where though?

the proper way:
Applications > Utilities > NetInfo (fyi netinfo is the accounts management db)
Go to Users
Go to your username
scroll down properties until you see 'shell'
unlock the preferences pane (padlock icon at the bottom - you will be prompted for an admin password)
change the value from /bin/bash to /bin/tcsh.
click the padlock to relock (update this copy) NetInfo.
Quit.
Logoff/Logon

the cheap way:
Terminal > Preferences
Under "When creating a new Terminal window:"
select the "Execute this command (specify complete path):" radio button and replace the "/bin/bash" text in the accompanying field with "/bin/tcsh'
close window
quit Terminal and relaunch to take effect.

cheers,
-Andi.