From: owner-progsoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-progsoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Nicholas FitzRoy-Dale
Sent: Monday, 13 August 2007 16:24
To: progsoc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ProgSoc] Drying up, hands or money

Benjamin Johnston wrote:
> Commercial toilet advertising on the other hand is legitimate, regulated,
> and means that each time I go to the bathroom, I'm effectively earning the
> university money even if I completely ignore the advertisement. How
> wonderful is that? I'm improving my life just by 'pissing'.

You only experience this improvement "just by 'pissing'" if you don't
buy the product. Obviously if everyone followed your advice there would
be no ads. Therefore you are relying on people to subsidise you. Your
quality of life improvement is paid for disproportionately by those that do.

Further, it is done so very inefficiently, because people buying the
product pay for the advertisements, the campaign, the product itself,
the bozos sent to schmooze with Uni faculty, etc etc, in addition to
keeping the toilets clean or whatever the value add is.

Let's assume that the ad co. pays the Uni 2c per hand dry, which I'm not
sure about but would guess is a highly optimistic value. Let's say each
student uses a bathroom twice a day, and goes to Uni 140 days a year (2
sessions of 14 weeks each).

That's $5.60 per student per year, aka a cheap lunch.

As far as I'm concerned, the Uni should just charge the students an
extra $5.60 and let them urinate in peace!

- Nicholas