Re: [ProgSoc] Drying up, hands or money

Roland Turner wrote:
The "Great Lie" of [untracked] mass-media advertising (that it works, or
at least that it is a worthwhile investment) can now be so conclusively
disproven by tracked media
I'd need references to be convinced. TV and magazine ads count as
untracked ads, right? Because they do work, and it's very easy to
determine how well they work by measuring, eg, the increase in orders
for body-building protein supplements in the month after GQ is
published. Random ads on dryers aren't the same as audience-targeted ads
in magazines, but it's not obvious that they are so different either.
Should we rename this "curmudgeonsock"? I recently read an article on
advertising in news clips. Some news channel (can't remember which one)
sold clips for a couple of dollars but also offered a free version if
people were willing to watch ads. The ad-supported version was
overwhelmingly more popular.
I happen to believe the correct response here isn't "people prefer free
and ad-ridden" but is instead "you were charging too much", but I'd also
accept that advertising is so much a part of our culture that most
people just don't really care about it and are happy to live with it if
it saves them a few bucks.
- N