Re: [ProgSoc] iSCSI - the new I in RAID?

jedd wrote:
 I have a situation that, I think, is crying out for iSCSI -- I need
 a lot of very cheap disk that can be accessed by a number of
boxes at reasonable speeds.
 Most of the figures I can find for iSCSI put it at about the same
 price as FC connected SANs, which I tend to think blows badly.

 Our encumbent brand (HP) for example thinks that a bunch of
 300GB FC disks at $1500 plugged into a retro-fitted iSCSI SAN
 box is a good idea.  Whereas I tend to think that $120,000 for
 6TB isn't a good idea.

 (Is it just me and them, or do all the big players flog disks at three
 times the price of the yum cha shops, and compound the problem by
 offering a 1year warranty compared to the lifetime warranty I'm
 getting on WD/Samsung/etc?)

 Anyhoo, back to iSCSI -- pointers, warnings, recommended vendors,
 etc gladly received. Mind, I have entertained the idea of a plenty big
 server running GNU/Linux, but would rather something applianceish.

Is this for home or business use?

If for home, there are a bunch of home NAS boxes around that should be a lot cheaper than $120k!
I have these in my links list but I'm sure there must be others (these
both around 2 Tb max):
http://www.intel.com/design/servers/storage/ss4000-E/
http://www.thecus.com/products_over.php?cid=1&pid=2

How about this - 8 Tb for US$8995:

http://www.broadberry.com/nasstorage_servers/nas416s_wss2003.htm

Unfortunately, its Windows-based, and they don't indicate what protocols are supported.
Cheers,

Nigel

--
UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If