Re: [ProgSoc] Text editors/Web dev apps for the Mac

jedd wrote:
 There's also some complications with games and availability of
 source.  Consider technologies like punkbuster (etc) that rely to
 a great extent on access to algorithms, source, etc being heavily
 restricted.  Yes yes .. security by obscurity, and all that.

 If full knowledge of the workings of multiplayer games were
 readily provided, this would reduce the quality of the gaming
 experience to the casual user.
I agree with this. Actually I fully support closed source in a variety
of contexts, but I think that even for people with a more hardline
stance games must be a grey(er) area. You might want an OSS printer
because you want to be able to keep using your expensive hardware on new
systems even when the manufacturer doesn't want to update the drivers,
because you want to audit the code (since it will have access to quite a
bit of your data), or because you wish to make use of the source code of
the driver to support other, similar, printers.
It's difficult to make these same arguments for Pokemon Distressed
Tangerine Edition for the DS.
- Nicholas