Licensing ( Was: Re: [ProgSoc] Text editors/Web dev apps for the Mac ) - Also, incubus httpd down?

On 9/24/07, John Elliot <jj5@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I reckon Microsoft is going to be *forced* to make Windows free
> open-source software within five years, or else their brand's flag ship
> will sink. (It probably sank with Vista, anyway.)

 It's an interesting idea, but I wonder if, accepting the proposal
that it's one or the other they'd rather see the ship sink,
considering the effort they've invested in marketing the position that
OS is harmful to corporate software interests.  I wonder what the
relative marketing cost is to "unput" ideas from peoples heads
compared to putting them there in the first place.

 I can see them opening the source to inspection ( similar to the
existing university access programs - which mysteriously have failed
to birth a Win analogue to Lion's Commentary ) , but I can't see them
taking patches from the outside when they've always sold the skill of
their massive development staff as a key advantage, and I can't see
them ever allowing others to distribute patched source trees ( istr
this was a problem with the QPL as well ).

  "A creature who has spent his life creating one particular
representation of his selfdom will die rather than become the
antithesis of that representation."
  - Dune Messiah

 Unrelated aside - is the http server on incubus refusing to respond
to anyone else?  I was going to have a look at Sanguine's thesis as
suggested in another thread, but I can't even get in from localhost
with lynx.

--
Captain: Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
Kids: Richard Nixon!