Re: [ProgSoc] PDDR

On 9/24/07, Matthew Beauregard <marauder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > John Elliot wrote:
> > >http://www.progsoc.org/wiki/index.php/PDDR
>
> Who else do we have here who's designed and delivered something about
> as big as a three-venue POS and CRM system?  These people might have
> observations about the project so far.

Ok, I'll bite.

Step 1: feel some pain. Step 2: Try to solve those pains without
software. Step 3: Solve those pains with software - which brings about
new pains and completes the cycle.

Your on the right track if three months later your still talking about
the pains that your customers are experiencing. Your on the wrong
track (and have joined 99% of the industry, welcome) if three months
later your talking about the RIA framework, database, operating system
and harware your thinking of switching to.

Matt do you have a venue running at the moment? John, in my opinion
the best prototyping work you could do would be in during the lunch
break and afternoon of a day spent with the customers dealing with the
actual problems.

Or you could build a cross-platform GUI framework:
http://chandlerproject.org/
http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/date/2003/11

-- Myles