Re: [ProgSoc] PDDR

On 9/24/07, John Elliot <jj5@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Myles Byrne wrote:
> > John, in my opinion the best prototyping work you could do would be
> > in during the lunch break and afternoon of a day spent with the
> > customers dealing with the actual problems.
>
> Believe it or not... I do actually have some experience developing and
> delivering software. :)

I sometimes forgot wether I'm addressing the old John or the new John.
Hello old John.

> Haven't done a whole distributed POS/CRM system before, though.
>
> I know basically how I'm going to proceed with this. I also know that
> I'm not going to proceed until I've got a development environment in
> which I can put a few HTML bits and pieces to help frame both my
> thinking, and the discussion with "the customer" or others. That makes
> the idea that I would demand Matthew's time at this juncture rather a
> waste, in my view. Anyone's welcome to work on the spec in the wiki though.

This is not really the hard part. I'm not saying it's easy, just that
it's uphill from the "yay! got everything up" stage. Why not just host
on your own svn, or I can give you an svn repo (seriously - say the
word and I'll have a publicly accessible http svn repo ready to go).
Then run

  rails pddr

Check that dir into svn, start hacking. If you need somewhere to put
up staging versions, how about one of your own machines? at least that
way you have control over the environment. Again, I can give you
access to a staging machine set up for rails quite quickly as long as
you don't require sudo (and realistically, you probably will).

Jump this hurdle, don't be that guy who always waits for an
unrealistic environment before he can start hacking.

>   - Learn some new programming language that I don't use in my job.
> Don't care which one -- it's all syntax to me.

Until you start working with it. Then come the complaints (guised as
comparisons), then comes the understanding, then comes the useful
code. No doubt you will share these with the list.

-- Myles

ps. apologies if this gets sent twice. flaky internet + gmail