Re: [ProgSoc] Have you registered to vote yet?

Andrew Robert Halliday wrote:
On 08/10/2007, at 9:14 PM, John Elliot wrote:
Andrew Halliday wrote:
No, it's not pathetic. Smokers are addicts. Addicts are pathetic.
See... that's a value judgement right there. :)
As was what you said likening smoker 'rights' to the battle for gender
equality. I stand by my statement.
No, I wasn't making value judgements. Not about others, at any rate.

I do value smoking, though.

It so happens that I disagree with you. I don't think addicts are pathetic at all.
Of course you don't think addicts are pathetic. It's because you are one.
Your logic is incredibly poor.

I'm certainly aware of the group-think that considers addiction a 'weakness', but I'm not in the category of people who hold that sentiment. Of course, the claim would be that's just a sign of my 'weakness'. My 'denial', right?
Indeed.
Judge me.

It's not true anyway. There are heaps of people who smoke casually who aren't addicted to nicotine.
Most 'casual' smokers smoke when they drink. In my observation I can't
recall seeing such a 'casual' smoker NOT smoking whilst drinking. Kinda
implies a habitual addiction to me. (i.e. When drinking, smoke)
I haven't seen a scuba diver go to 30em without a wetsuit. Kinda implies
a habitual addiction to me. (i.e. When going to 30em, wear a wetsuit)
p.s. What's your position on a man sticking his penis in another man's anus?
Multifaceted. First I don't think that society should publicly delve
into what happens in the bedroom or condemn people because of their
sexual preferences.
What about two men kissing in a public park?

Where my *children* might see!

Second I think that sexuality is in no way similar to addiction.
Denial!

Your allusion that sexuality is a choice is false in my opinion.
What's the matter Andi? Can't resist your impulses? Wouldn't that go to
show how weak you are?
Maybe what we need is a behaviour 're-training' program. I'm sure if we
subjected you to enough shock therapy, subconscious conditioning,
peer-pressure, etc., that you'd be able to bury your inclinations and go
find yourself a pretty girl to 'love'. In the ass. ;)
Third you aren't my type. (And that picture you linked to a while back with the tragically blonde hair was very Stonewall level 2. Tsk Tsk)
Sorry dude, you're judging me relative to the wrong reference point.

Here's a clue: http://www.jj5.net/programmer-fashion/

You keep coming back with your 'smokers rights' angle and compare yourself to the struggle for equality for first women in society, then people less abled and now you're having a go at the GLBTI community?
Nope, I'm not doing any such thing.

Sure, you might have meant it to be retaliatory in response to my comments about addicts and you being one, but the thing is you were talking about imposing a right for you to smoke on the rest of society. This causes society to suffer. Giving women equal rights, supporting and giving less abled people equal rights and giving people of whatever sexual orientation equal rights does not cause society to suffer.
Perhaps we should kill disabled people at birth, get women back in the
kitchen, and allow only state-endorsed and closely monitored
heterosexual unions. *Then* society wouldn't suffer. Am I right or what?
Allowing people to force people to smoke passively does. THAT is why I oppose public smoking.
Only if there is no provision made in public places for smokers to smoke
without being near non-smokers. Smokers are people too. (Hate to break
it to you.)
If you want to smoke by yourself away from anyone who doesn't want to smoke you are only hurting yourself and other like minded people who enjoy smoking. This does not bother me.
Why do I have to look at grotesque imagery on my cigarette packets then?
Why can't I grow my own tobacco? Why do I have to pay disproportionate
levels of tax to participate in this activity?