Re: [ProgSoc] Have you registered to vote yet?

On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 00:58 +1000, John Elliot wrote:
> ...but it's another thing to live side-by-side with people of
> different cultural persuasions and have them claim to hate you.

It sounds like the only person who is fearful is you. You're claiming
that people who dislike / hate smok*ing*, consequently dislike / hate
smok*ers*. I don't believe that to be the case (except for an extreme
minority of people). My opinion is that:

	1. Many people hate smoking
	2. Some people pity smokers
	3. Few people hate smokers

I have a feeling you've latched onto the latter two minorities, and
you've taken their weak assertions to heart.

As to whether or not I agree with the ban on smoking in pubs and
clubs...I think you'd be nuts as a pub owner to not realise that there's
a market for keeping your smokers happy by providing a large,
comfortable, well ventilated area for them to use. As a smoker, vote
with your feet and refuse to go to places which allocate tiny balconies
or the side-walk for smoking. There *are* better places than that.

Oh, and speaking of hate; I absolutely hate seeing photographs of manky
feet go past every time I look at a bus in the city. I agree with you
that the advertisements have gone too far. If things continue at this
rate, I'll be sitting at the bus stop watching rape victims fly by as a
warning that alcohol abuse has dire consequences. Or perhaps someone
with the lower half of a Jim Beam bottle embedded in his forehead.

That'll learn 'em, right?

--
Nathan de Vries