Re: [ProgSoc] Have you registered to vote yet?

John Elliot wrote:
Smoking is almost exclusively about that. In some ways it's a deeply
personal activity, but in other ways it's a deeply social activity.
The fact that it's addictive, or that it *might* (but probably won't)
lead to serious health sufferance later in life is a tiny price to
pay, in consideration of the quality of life that it delivers. Quality
in the intangible ways that can not be measured, and that need to be
experienced to be understood or appreciated.

So can't you do that without smoking? Go for a coffee with work
collegues to 'connect' out of the office. Go for a stroll around a park
or something? Why do you believe that adding the element of 'smoking'
enhances these relationships (other than maybe lengthening the total
time available for chatting so as to align with the time required for
semi-frequent cigarette consumption).
You can hardly argue 'discrimination' in terms of advertising when we
all suffer the same fate. I suppose, however, that I don't spend that
much time staring at cigarette packets.
The Sick Society

Thanks for posting this; its an interested read and a view I have held for some time without putting a 'name' to it.
Cheers,

Nigel