[ProgSoc] FW: [pattern-calculus] pattern calculus seminars continue

Hi Guys,

There may be a series of labs running that will explore the potential of the programming language bondi. This is a practical demonstration of some of the theory behind the language (pattern calculus).

This may be interesting to people who are curious about programming paradigms and combining different programming styles (i.e. functional, O-O, relational, imperative) in a single typed language.

Details below (and in attachment).

SanguineV

> Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 11:22:13 +1000
> From: cbj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> To: pattern-calculus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [pattern-calculus] pattern calculus seminars continue
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> if there is interest I will run a series of four labs on the pattern
> calculus, in which you can program in bondi. The proposal is to run the
> labs on Tuesdays in November from 7-9pm. A draft announcement is
> attached. Please let me know by return mail if you are interested in
> coming so that we can judge numbers.
>
> Yours,
> Barry

Join Lavalife for free. What are you waiting for?
	PATTERN CALCULUS SEMINARS/LABORATORIES

Title: Programming the Pattern Calculus in bondi
Presenter: Barry Jay, Associate Professor, UTS
Time: Tuesdays, 7pm,
Place: Rm ??? Building 10, UTS (Jones Street)

 6th November Functional programming and structure polymorphism
13th November Query programming
20th November Imperative programming and iterators
27th November Object-oriented programming

url: www-staff.it.uts.edu.au/~cbj/draft-book (to be updated)
url: www-staff.it.uts.edu.au/~cbj/bondi (to be updated)

Abstract

The pattern calculus is a new foundation for computation that combines
the functionality of the lambda calculus with a proper respect for
data structures: if the pattern matches the structure of the argument
then the function is evaluated. This expressive power allows it to
support the polymorphism all of the main programming styles
(functional, imperative, object-oriented, relational, etc) plus some
new ones suitable for XML programming and potentially for web
services.

Earlier seminars considered untyped and typed calculi.
These laboratories will allow you to experience these ideas by working through examples in bondi.