Re: [ProgSoc] What is the world coming to?

jedd wrote:
 You seem to be assuming we (or indeed anyone) is
 living in a democracy.
I'm sure you want to make a point, so why don't you? :P

 (Is there a distinction to be made here between a
 democratic government and a democracy?)
No. I'd say Australia is a democracy, in the sense that there is a
mechanism for periodically choosing a new government. If the public
perceived things at being "direly bad" then there would be a legal
method for taking extreme-yet-non-violent reactive action.
I agree that from a practical perspective, having regard to the nature
of mass media and ignorance in general, that it doesn't function
particularly well. That's because public perception is so well managed.