Re: [ProgSoc] Evil is good

I think the people who started the "greed is good" thing thought greed
is synonymous with selfishness or self-interest.
It isn't: it means having a selfish desire for something in particular.

greed: back-formation from greedy

greedy: having or showing an intense and selfish desire for something, esp. wealth or power; having an excessive desire or appetite for food.
Wanting a lot of money doesn't inherently mean you want to have more
money than other people. Those two desires are often related, because
that's how money works, but the latter is not inherent. Similarly,
even if you do want to have more money than other people, that desire
still doesn't mean you wish to have the money in order to deprive
others of it (since there are plenty of other uses for money).
... I dunno, I just like to make sure I've defined my terms. ;-)