Re: [ProgSoc] [Fwd: [ADMIN] Network upgrade]

On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 03:58:00PM +1100, Thomas Given-Wilson wrote:
> > I'm interested in helping out with whatever is left to do. Have you guys
> > been building up some kind of documentation for your setup process?
> > Getting machine configurations into some kind of SCM (svn, bzr etc.)
> > would be useful given the haphazard administration history of Progsoc
> > (not a bad thing). There's also the possibility of using Slack [1] to
> > avoid reproducing setup procedures in the usual Progsoc style (following
> > howtosetupaprogsocmachine.txt step-by-step).
>
> For the moment there is some documentation, but we haven't put it out
> well/consistently/usefully yet AFAIK. Mostly we are still finalising the
> details so that others can use the information.
>
> At this point the most outstanding things are:
> - creating correct iptables rules on the firewall
> - testing the iptables rules
> - testing the dhcp services
> - obtaining another 400GB IDE drive
> - documentation
> - testing and then adding users
> - working out the exact details of the cutover
>
> I am sure help would be appreciated, and that you could probably find
> things we have overlooked that need work.
>
> > Is anyone going to be in the room tonight?
>
> I will be around until maybe 1900, but I don't think anyone is going to
> be around tonight (I know that chlaught, rhoward, althalus and myself
> will all be gone by then so there won't be anyne with access to the new
> systems anyway).

I'm about to head to the room, and depending if anyone is around - may
still till about 2000 or so, so feel free to pop around. I think the
building is in lock down after 1800 though so you'll need a PIN to get
in.

Speaking of documentation, should we keep sysadmin docs off the wiki?
I'm happy to help with documentation - but I guess we'll need to know
where to stick it before we go too far.