Re: [ProgSoc] ProgSoc migration

Robert Howard wrote:
On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 11:28:27PM +1100, Nicholas FitzRoy-Dale wrote:
On 25/02/2008, at 8:27 PM, Margaret Colville wrote:

Also, as part of the migration your mail files will be converted to Maildir.
:(

 If you have any objections, now is a really good time to state them. D:
[snip]
 I'm a wee bit biased, as I've always found mbox very slow and
 cumbersome to use, and would prefer to be able to manage my mail
 without having the time to go for a coffee and make a sandwich while
 waiting for a mailbox write to finish.

 Any opinions either way?
At UCC the MDA is procmail, so users can choose to use Maildir if they want
to (and know how to). I'm not sure if you can make procmail default to
maildir, what MDA/MTA is ProgSoc using? If you do decide to keep mbox,
please use dovecot for IMAP/POP server, UW-IMAP kills kittens.
Personally I use mbox, but my mail files are a hundred MB at most, and are
reasonably snappy on a modern RAID 5 volume. Then again, I sometimes use
tail and less to read my mboxes as it's quicker than firing up a mail client
(I don't keep one open all the time).
--
James Andrewartha