[ProgSoc] Progsoc debate?

Myles Byrne myles at myles.id.au
Thu Apr 17 18:32:21 EST 2008

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 10:11 AM, Nathan de Vries <nathan at atnan.com> wrote:

>  This might be a bit of a misnomer, because while Java is (sometimes
>  arguably) backwards compatible at the bytecode level, language features
>  that the tools need to refactor are not. For instance, if you want to
>  start refactoring some code that uses generics, your tools will need to
>  understand what generics are (i.e JDK5.0+) despite the fact that the
>  compiler is turning your generics code into the same bytecode that you
>  would have been producing without generics support.

Sure, the language is always a bit ahead of the tools but the tools
catch up. It's more of "I can't wait for C# 3 support in Resharper"
rather than "I wonder if someone can hack sourcefilter support into
emacs". That culture split is what I'm getting at.

>  > I heard on a podcast the first version was written in smalltalk, then
>  > they gradually swapped bits out for Java implementations.
>
>  If you can find out what podcast it was, I wouldn't mind having a
>  listen.

It was probably cincom's[1]. According to wikipedia[2] VisualAge Micro
Edition for Java "morphed" into Eclipse. I'm guessing the marketing
department helped there.

[1] http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/cincom/blogView?content=podcasts
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VisualAge

-- Myles