[ProgSoc] Windows / SMP and JobSoc

jedd jedd at progsoc.org
Tue Apr 29 23:58:13 EST 2008

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008, Edward Forgacs wrote:
> For the purposes of Windows licensing, a dual-core CPU is considered to be
> a single CPU, regardless of how Windows identifies the CPU. Can I ask
> therefore why you would need to do this? Is it some strange non-standard
> license you're dealing with?

 Licence.  And yes - it's Business Objects (nee Crystal Reports).  It
 takes cores as being the same as CPU's.  The only thing I know that
 currently doesn't take core = CPU is Oracle .. and even that is
 likely to change once Larry gets out of the jacuzzi.

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008, Nigel Sheridan-Smith wrote:
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963892.aspx

 I'll give this a try, though identifying it from the Windows side
 will be interesting.  The /onecpu setting suggests it doesn't
 identify cores as separate ... and finding single-core CPU's in
 mid-range HP kit these days is ... well, rocking horse poo springs
 to mind.

 Cores for us are .75x the cost of an additional CPU.  There's no
 indication that a single CPU will not suffice.  Single CPU licences
 are stupidly expensive, and an additional .75x additional cost would
 be, miraculously, even more stupid.  Hence the initial query.

 Anyhoo, thank you both for your suggestions .. I'll check out the
 /onecpu thing further and whinge about it later on-list.

 J.