[ProgSoc] Windows / SMP and JobSoc

Nigel Sheridan-Smith nbsherid at engsoc.org.au
Wed Apr 30 06:52:08 EST 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 23:58 +1000, jedd wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Apr 2008, Nigel Sheridan-Smith wrote:
> > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963892.aspx
>
>  I'll give this a try, though identifying it from the Windows side
>  will be interesting.  The /onecpu setting suggests it doesn't
>  identify cores as separate ... and finding single-core CPU's in
>  mid-range HP kit these days is ... well, rocking horse poo springs
>  to mind.

/numprocs=1 may use logical processors... supposedly this is equivalent
to /onecpu anyway.

You can force the non-SMP kernel using some of the other options
- /kernel and /hal - you will need to copy the non-SMP kernel files from
the original media/service packs and rename them before adding these
options to boot.ini. Sysinternals have provided some rudimentary
instructions (although for checked builds). Switching between SMP and
non-SMP is discussed here:

http://www.praecelsus.com/Articles/200002.htm

Cheers,

Nigel

--
UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If