[ProgSoc] ProgSoc migration

Anand Kumria wildfire at progsoc.org
Thu Feb 28 08:05:55 EST 2008

Hi Nathan,

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 1:38 AM, Nathan de Vries <nathan at atnan.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 23:08 +0000, Anand Kumria wrote:
>  > Why not just make email available via IMAP?
>
>  The MTA needs to be delivering to somewhere, and I think it makes sense
>  to deliver directly to users' home directories (otherwise you need to
>  maintain non-user access homes somewhere else).

Why would you need to do that?

The mail server can have (virtual) users available via LDAP -- but
simply not allow logins.

Delivering to user homes means:
 - NFS (probably)
 - if one home-dir machine locks up, then mail stops for everyone

Cons delivering to an isolated machine are:
 - something needs to be setup to allow forward to be edited
 - how do you handle procmail scripts?
 - or even auto-reply

Each of those has a solution (gosa2, use sieve, gosa2 - again) but you
guys will need to weigh the trade-offs yourselves.

>  I personally use grep quite frequently across my Maildir because IMAP
>  search isn't that great, and I also have crontabs to tarball my mail
>  periodically.

The grep problem is something that a good client / server pair can
alleviate. For archiving there are plenty of things you can do.

Perhaps what you really want to be running imapsync (maybe called
isync?) Then you could do things locally and the general case would
just be IMAP. It would cost more in disk space ... but it is free
these day ;-)

>  I agree with you regarding use of IMAP for general mail access, but
>  delivering mail to a separate machine doesn't appeal to me that much.

There are pluses and minuses -- but as I'm not the one doing the
implementation work, I'll leave it to them what they decide to do.

Cheers,
Anand