[ProgSoc] Laptop advice/suggestions

jedd jedd at progsoc.org
Wed Jul 2 01:24:03 EST 2008

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008, Anand Kumria wrote:
> In that regard perhaps an Asus EEE PC (or similar) would be useful as
> you can carry all valuable data on a (largish) SD card.

 I'm with Anand on this, but I realise it's not for everyone.

 I hate laptops, and all that they imply.

 I'll be picking up my MSI Wind next week.  I rate size above
 power these days (Scott turned out to be right - the network
 really is the computer .. or was it the other way around).

> Keep in mind that "worldwide warranties" are typically not. I have a
> Dell "worldwide warranty" on my laptop. But could not get it fixed
> whilst in London.

 I'm with Anand on this one too - I'd never buy a Dell again.

 $750 quoted to 'look at' my broken video card, that died bang
 on 1 month out of warranty, with an expected cost of around
 that figure again for labour & parts to repair same.

> And don't get me started on "Next Business Day" either ...

 I was quoted for 3 days before someone could look at mine,
 and this assumed I was willing to drive 2 hours for it to be
 in a convenient location for the sub'ed Dell tech.  This was
 with one of those expensive 'next day, 3 year extended
 warranty' jobbies.   Did I mention the phrase 'never again' ?

 J.