[ProgSoc] Laptop advice/suggestions

Thomas Given-Wilson sanguinev at progsoc.org
Wed Jul 2 11:51:47 EST 2008

On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 11:10:32AM +0100, Anand Kumria wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 1:19 AM, Thomas Given-Wilson
> <sanguinev at progsoc.org> wrote:
> > My last laptop was a HP V2140CA (a presario shockingly, purchased Feb
> > 2005) that has been to the top of mountains in the rockies, through the deserts of nevada, beaches in california and Australia. Has been online for most of the
> > above including over 25,000 km of driving in a car over 35C for some of
> > it... In humidity of over 100% for weeks and all sorts of abuse (5
> > months backpacking).
>
> Then surely the only two crtieria that matter are:
>  a. mass
>  b. length of time between battery charges
>
> In that regard perhaps an Asus EEE PC (or similar) would be useful as
> you can carry all valuable data on a (largish) SD card.

If those were my main priorities then you would be right. I don't plan
to subject my new laptop to nearly as much abuse, but I also don't want
a laptop that will catch fire if it is exposed to direct sunlight (I
need something to hide under).

Seeing as I am planning to use it more as an all around home office/uni
work/work work/entertainment system an EEE PC is a bit
small/underspec'd.

> And replace in whatever 1st world country you happen to be hiking in quickly.
>
> Keep in mind that "worldwide warranties" are typically not. I have a
> Dell "worldwide warranty" on my laptop. But could not get it fixed
> whilst in London.

I bought my current laptop in Canada and had no problems using the
default warranty in Australia. But perhaps I was lucky, it sound (from
someof the replies) like world wide warranties aren't what they sound
like. ;)