[ProgSoc] Camping advice

James Ducker james.ducker at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 12:55:53 EST 2008

Added: (fold up) shovel, fire lighters

One of the guys is a park ranger, but he lives up there, and by the time I'm
there it will be too late for camping gear. I was thinking of bringing more
water - I suppose it's contingent upon whether or not we're going to be
crossing any streams. As for where we'll be camping, it will probably be
away from any normal camping sites or tracks; said ranger has propensity
toward bush bashing. I guarantee he will have some location he wants to get
to so he can see if animal X is at expected population Y, and that location
will be nowhere near anything.

- James

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 10:50 AM, Mike Stalenberg <stryker at progsoc.org>
wrote:

> Is it a proper National Park camp site? If so you may need to pay the
> ranger (normally about $10 per night). You're also not supposed to forage
> for fire wood in a National Park so you may want to take some. (but if
> there's no one about then...)
>
> Other few other things off the top of my head:
> Pillow
> Make sure your sleeping bag is rated for the current overnight temp.
> Fire Lighters
> You might want more water, you're supposed to drink 2L a day, then more to
> cook in/with.
> Somewhere to shit (or a shovel to dig a hole) and something to wipe your
> ass with. Or a big pack of immodium.
>
> cheers,
> mike
>

> James Ducker wrote:
>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I am going camping soon for about 4 nights. I haven't done any real
>> camping since high school cadets, but I came up with a list for supplies. If
>> anyone out there has camping experience, maybe you can highlight some
>> glaring omission(s)? The camping will be done inland from Coffs, around the
>> Dorrigo national park.
>>

>> CAMPING SUPPLIES
>> ----------------
>>
>> - Clothes (underwear, hat, shoes, socks esp.)
>> - Tent (2 man, 2.2m minimum side length)*
>> - Sleeping bag (2m minimum length)*
>> - Sleeping mat
>> - Cutlery, bowls (aluminium, enamelled)
>> - Stove, pot
>> - Food (canned food, biscuits, museli bars, sugar)
>> - Water (6L capacity)
>> - Canteen
>> - Insect repellant
>>
>> - Flashlight
>> - Knife
>> - First Aid kit ( + salt)
>> - Fire (lighter, waterproof matches, candle)
>> - Compass
>> - Map
>> - 308, scope, night vision, 100 winchester super X
>>
>> * I'm very tall

James Ducker
Web Developer (C#.NET, VB, JS)
http://www.studioj.net.au