[ProgSoc] why does joomla suck?

Peter Brownlow roentgenation at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 17:27:50 EST 2008

I used Joomla a year ago and it was a joy. A friend set up a basic site for
me with a few random things such as polls, rotating announcements, user
registrations and event timetabling, and after that I was able to easily
strip it back down to basics and then rebuild the site as I saw fit. There
was some limitations but nothing that outweighed the speed at which I was
able to create a fairly complicated site. Joomla saved me a lot of time.

Pros:
- speed of putting together well known usage patterns (e.g. user
registration, blogging, message boards, image upload)
- visual themes and plugins available on the internet (faffing around with
look and feel would have taken me ages, so I just downloaded someone else's)
- when I needed to create some components to run custom code the Joomla code
for DB access proved fairly straightforward to inspect and replicate

Cons:
- did not see a nice or easy way to insert server-side code... resorted to
creating a few "components" that load as part of another page, each of which
is rendered somewhere in that page and can run its own snippet of
server-side code

-Peter